8.18.2011

{gift} Baby Memory Book

READERS-- I need your help!
About a month ago my cousin took pictures of our family and in exchange I made her a baby memory book.  The book is approximately 120 unique pages.  I originally made this book with my own children in mind and since then I have made almost 12 for friends/family.  I was inspired by a baby memory book I found on Etsy, but realized that 50 pages for $60 was a bit much for my budget.  After jumping in head first into designing a memory book I quickly realized the previous price stated was probably a good deal, but I was well on my way into the design.  Anyway, I put this out there because I've had many emails requesting I sale these baby books and I'm curious how much would you pay for a color printed book of 120 pages?  The raw materials cost is roughly $60 (this includes the chipboard, paper, printing 60 colored pages front and back, metal spiral to bind, and plastic pouches for keepsake pages).  I'm trying to get an idea of how much I should sale these books on Etsy, if I decide to do so...
Another idea I had was to sale the PDF of these prints and then the buyer could print them out as many times as they want.  So my next question is... how much would you pay for the PDF printables of 120 uniquely designed pages? I want to be fair with costs, but I also want to make it worth my while...

7 comments:

  1. Your book is DARLING! I was curious to see how people commented because I actually have been trying to sell a baby book PDF on my site. I've only had it listed for a few weeks and I've had hits but no buyers as of yet. I don't know if that helps or not, but I figured I'd let you know since there weren't any comments yet and I know how frustrating that can be at times. :) I LOVE your blog by the way and am a daily follower so thanks for all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am interested in buying this. not sure how much you would charge, but my budget would be around $80. That probably doesn't come close to compensating for your time, but you've made multiple ones, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your input ladies. If I do decide to sell the PDF printable file I would like to be fair so any insight is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think moms are so busy that a PDF seems like it would be too much trouble with printing and binding... moms probably want it easier. I think you could sell that book for about $50, and it would sell well, especially as a baby shower gift. Is there anyway to buy in bulk and cut down on materials costs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes I'd totally pay for the finished prouct - it's BEAUTIFUL!! I also like the idea of offering the PDF vesions - especially for those moms with multiple kids who may want to make one for each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just FYI...my rule of thumb for selling things (on Etsy or at craft shows) is to figure out the cost of materials and triple it...yes, I said triple it. One thing I have learned is if someone wants it they will pay for it and you have to keep in mind that handmade things take longer to make/design than things in a factory so you can't sell it for cheap. If you were to sell the PDF I think that is a little harder to figure out...but while there may be some that won't mind putting the book together on their own, most will want the finished book. So I would look on Etsy and try to find other items that are like yours and see how much they charge for the PDF, then you can kind of pick an average price to sell yours for. Good luck. I love your blog, soooo many cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J.Minor-- thanks for the advice. It's so hard for me to let go of this special file, but if I decide to in the future I will heed your advice. :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...